Tuesday 12 July 2011

Watercolour paintings and I

I've always been interested in drawing.   I used to do reasonably well in the drawing class at school, moving to the first row of seats, know-towing with the teacher and getting compliments from my class-mates.

For some reason, I decided in my fourth standard, to buy myself a watercolour set.  I brought this to the class and sat down to paint.  The memory of what followed is painful and distant :)

I recall this now and smile.  It is the same urge that set off in me again nearly 30 odd years later when I was viewing Sameera's blog. And yet again, decided to take the plunge!

Watercolour painting is like a free flowing rivulet - the brushes of colour are light, playful, transparent and instinctive.  This is in sharp contrast to my own personality - I am more studied, thoughtful and hard working.  A bit like an oil painting or charcoal sketch.  And yet, I am drawn back to the watercolour kit, perhaps it is a desire to break free...to change and be someone else?

Be that as it may, I am excited to be painting again.  When I paint, the rest of the world ceases to exist, I am aware only of the play of colour on paper.  Of the satisfaction of mucking about with water and colour, paper and brushes, pencil and eraser.

Coincidentally, at this very time, my brother Subbu is in St. Croix as part of a large research group. He's  posting photographs of beautiful sunsets on the beach every evening, while trying to avoid the insect bites :)  Doubly inspired, I picked one such sunset as the subject of my first water colour.

The result is what you see here :) a struggle of brush and water, a teaser (hopefully!) of things to come!

No comments: